Kate Morris

Otherwise know as @katemorris.com by friends.

By

PubCon South & Austin Insider Tips

I have had tons of people ask about different things for their trip to Austin and my good friend Joanna Lord mentioned that I should do a guide. What to see, what to bring, what not to miss. Guess I can throw some info together. :)

If you have specific questions, comment and I’ll answer!! If I need to I’ll add it to the post.

Needed at PubCon South

• Business Cards (a must, kinda late to order, but you can always do one day turnaround and expedited shipping)
  • Healthy Liver (6th street, need I say more? Okay, later)
  • Thirst for Knowledge
  • Passion for Music
  • Love of Great Food (TEX-MEX!!!)
  • Great attitude
  • Flip Flops (it’s an Austin requirement)

Updated Weather: Average 72 for mid March. We are sitting in the 80s currently. Needless to say it’ll be warm most likely, but do please check the weather before you get here. We have a rule: If you don’t like Texas weather, wait. It’ll change in 20 mins. It can downpour at any moment and freeze the next. You think I’m kidding …

Update: Yeah, 60% chance of rain during PubCon South. Please pack an umbrella!

Clothing: Comfy. You want to look professional for the conference, but a suit is just going to make you look like a lawyer here. Not that this isn’t the norm in Web Marketing anyway.

Experiences

Restaurants – I’ll focus up North, there are tons more though if you are willing to travel a bit.

• Z Tejas – Right near the Renaissance, this is classic Austin Tex-Mex. Sit on the patio if you can.
  • Manuel’s – Same as above, great Mexican, not as close, but still RIGHT THERE. :)
  • Amy’s Ice Cream – It’s in the shopping area. Best ice cream in Austin.
  • Texadelphia – Cheap. Greasy. Delicious. Texas Philly Cheesesteaks
  • North by Northwest – Wonderful brewry with some of the best food I’ve had. Great sit down dinner, especially with clients, hint hint.
  • Baby Acapulco – The best margaritas up that way. You are limited to 2 purple ones. Yes, that good.
  • Iron Cactus – More Tex-Mex, right by NXNW, Austin staple. Another good sit down place.
  • Kenobi – Great Sushi right by the hotel.
  • Trudy’s – A little further away, but one of the best restaurants in Austin
  • Eddie V’s – Never been here because I dislike seafood, but I hear it’s fantastic. Right by Z Tejas.
  • Opal Divines

Bars – Sorry, most of the great ones are downtown – cab ride!

• West 6th
    • Cuba Libre
    • Six
    • Saba
    • Malaga
    • Vicci

Tips

• Cab rides from up north to downtown can be pricey, so if you plan on seeing Austin, rent a car. But downtown parking is like any other city, sucks. Garage parking is average $7. But after 5:30pm meter parking is free if you can find one.
  • For the tip above, you can just bribe SEOs who live in Austin to take you with them to cool places. Let’s see — myself and Taylor Pratt will be at PubCon. Other Austinite SEOs, who is going to have their car? :P
  • The airport is no where near the city or the hotel. Sorry. We aren’t like other cities, but our airport does kick booty. If you missed awesome Austin restaurants like Salt Lick, they are in the airport and just as good.
  • We double name our highways. Mopac = Loop 1 | Ben White = Hwy 290/71 | Research = Hwy 183 | Capital of Texas = Loop 360
  • I’ll add more as I think of them. :)

22 Responses to PubCon South & Austin Insider Tips

1. We will have to checkoff all those downtown bars next week.

I look forward to meeting you at PubCon and finally visiting Austin Texas!

,Michael Martin

2. pratt says:

Another good tip is to bribe Austinites, like you and I, into picking you up at your hotel to avoid getting ripped-off by a cab.

3. Kate

says:

LMAO. Totally!! I am adding that one now. :P

4. Joe Laratro

says:

If Pete’s is a dueling piano bar, you will find me there each night!

5. MLDina says:

Great list! We will be stopping by quite a few of these places during the stay. Have you been to Sullivan’s? We’re having a dinner there (you’re welcome to join!), and I heard it’s one of the best! Let me know what you think.

6. Kate

says:

I’ve never been to Sullivan’s myself but I hear it’s fantastic. When are you going?

7. scott polk says:

Looking forward to seeing Austin and hanging with all my friends

8. Hailey

says:

Hey Kate – when is everyone coming in?? Just a suggestion for something else going on in Austin March 1-4 and 8-11 – Austin Restaurant Week. Some cool Austin places on the list – set menus, though, but good prices. http://www.austinrestaurantweek.com :)

9. MLDina says:

Saturday night, 3/14 at 5pm. We didn’t want to miss all the great evening events, so it’s a bit on the early side. There’s also a meetup at Z Tejas at 1pm the same day.

10. Alison says:

The Raven crew will have a mini van, because that’s just the way we roll, and would be happy to take folks around with us, room permitting. We won’t be hard to spot, so be sure and find us if you are needing a ride somewhere!

11. Michael P.

says:

Good list, there is only one problem. The “Blind Pig”
    is on your list. It burned down a few weeks ago, so if you were planning on going there, make other plans.

12. Kate

says:

I heard that, but thought they were done rebuilding it? I’ll check to see if they are done with the rebuild.

They rebuilt and are back in business as of February 27th. According to KVUE http://www.kvue.com/news/top/stories/022709kvueblindpig-bkm.d9a1731.html

13. Krista says:

Hi Kate! Today was my first experience with any type of SEO Conference- I’m glad it was PubCon! It was good to hear you speak!

14. Kate

says:

So glad you are enjoying it!!! This was a great one to start with!

15. Pingback: Online Marketing Blog » Blog Archive » Friday Recap - Shake Your Booty Edition

16. You NEED to add QUA here – dancing on the shark tank.

PS – Kate, thanx for showing us around as it was awesome to finally meet and have a drink or 20 with you!

,Michael Martin

17. MLDina says:

There are so many places on this list I wanted to go to but didn’t- the weekend went way too fast. We’re going to have to come back, or have a huge event in Orlando and get everyone here for a beach weekend! Great meeting you Kate, and thanks for coming to the meetup!

18. Emily

says:

Nice meeting you last night! I will definitely be referencing this list as we get adjusted to our new home city. The double naming of the highways is tricky! Hope to meet up with you again around Austin!

19. Kate

says:

It was great meeting y’all. Please let me know if you ever need anything!

20. Seawell says:

Great blog! You have some real quality information here. I’m usually not one to spend too much time reading blogs but I spent the last two hours here, LoL. Keep up the good work

21. Daniel says:

The problem with SEO’s that produce great content is that when I find one of their articles (this one), something else on their blog almost always catches my eye (i.e. 17 Day Diet for SEOs) which leads to the rest of my afternoon spent reading through archived SEO wisdom. Darn you Ms. Morris for being such a helpful, interesting writer!

I wasn’t even looking for good SEO reading, just needed some great local Austinite tips to cite in our new Austin city guide, haha.

22. Kate Morris says:

Thanks Daniel! Let me know if I can ever help with anything!